Saturday, February 24, 2007

The end of February...

Well, I know I haven't been doing the best job of keeping this up to date, but I hope that the little I've posted has been enough to keep you coming back--although if you're reading this, then that's a pretty good indication that you are indeed coming back...
As I seem to keep writing in e-mails and letters home, I don't even know where to start in describing all that I'm learning here about God and how much I'm growing closer to Him. I think that first I should clear up some confusion--I am attending this school, not teaching. It is a training program so to speak--and the field of training is in Discipleship with Christ. Because of this, we have many requirements on our time--tasks to complete, books to read, being time concious is highly stressed. But I think the two most important aspects of the school are the lectures and the prayer time. We're assigned no less than two hours a day when we should be in prayer-our quiet time in the morning and our prayer walk in the evening. I'm learning alot from the lectures, but the time spent in prayer is so valuable to me, because if I don't have conversation with God, then how can I say that I have a relationship with Him? And I'm seeing Him respond to my prayers--for example at the beginning of February I asked God to teach me some various things this month...and we have covered almost all those topics in the lectures!

In addition to just what's going on within the school, I'm really getting to experience Ghanaian culture...in the past three weeks I've been to both a wedding and a funeral. The ceremonies of both were not terribly different than what you might see in the States--some minor differences, but essentially the same formula. Bear in mind, however, that I am in a large city (700,000+/-) and the services were both with people in the Church--due to this they have been highly influenced by the western way of doing things. As I said there were some differences, more dancing in the wedding, but that's normal in Sunday service, so it's not surprising to see in the wedding. And after the funeral, at the reception, I got to see some tribal dancing. It seems to me that once the burial has taken place, they are not as somber as we are in the States--especially if the person who died is older, they use it as a time of rejoicing...

Please continue to pray for God's direction as I look at the future, as many of you know, before coming here I had some things planned out for the next year, but now I see that God may be leading me elsewhere...

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." Prov. 19:21

God Bless you!
~Rachel~

No comments: